Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Qingdao 青岛

I haven't really thought much of Sydney since I left. I suppose I was very ready to leave by then. Stepping into Qingdao, the smell of ocean, the relaxed attitude, brought memories of Sydney flooding back. I suppose it is common of all beach side cities - they eat (seafood), they drink (beer), and they swim (in the ocean). I miss my summer weekends by the beach, listening to my iPod, reading my book, going for a dip once in a while. I even miss putting on sunscreen.

Qingdao is a beautiful city. It is not as well organized nor well presented as Sydney, and neither is the sand as fine. But it surpassed my possibly-now-lowered expectations of what China could present in form of a beach. I was so excited to see a beach that I bought a bikini on the day and jumped into the ocean - it was freezing (with seaweed strewn everywhere) but it was worth it, just to get salt water on my body. The locals were slightly bemused (not sure if it was with a crazy Asian girl in the water or in a bikini). A classmate said to me: "It looks like you've returned home." I could be.

Qingdao is an interesting little city and I'd like to be back. There is quite a bit of German influence (architecture still evident). Amusingly the roads in Qingdao are named after the cities in China, and arranged in similar geographic fashion. It is a little quaint.

Tsingtao Brewery

The Australian Flag at the Qingdao Olympic Sailing Center


Statue in form of an Olympic torch commemorating The Beijing Olympics


The Olympic Rings




The beach!


Tea picker


City skyline from the sea


Flowers in the park

City skyline from the park


Out yonder


Train on the way back





No comments:

Post a Comment