Friday, July 23, 2010

Etosha National Park

First game park on our camping trip... we were excited. It definitely did not disappoint. I saw a lot more animals than pictured below, so I am not doing the place justice. Also, I can't actually remember a lot of names of the animals, so I apologize in advance if I get them wrong.

Just an interesting tree


Zebras - they get boring after awhile 


And then a herd of them...


A herd of gazelles (I think). The one with horns is male, and hence stays at the end of the herd to watch his troop (all females, mind you).




Kudu




Giraffes in the wild



 I just thought this funny - almost something out of a children's play book




We passed by a watering hole - the ostriches looked on for fear of coming close to the lions, no matter how thirsty they were


A lioness with her cubs


Whilst the rest of the animal kingdom stayed away, some giraffes, in an act of bravado (or desperate thirst), decided to come near, leading to a chase by the lions. Here two lions in the chase as a giraffe further away looks on. 


Two giraffes on the run


A throng of lions in the chase


Another beautiful sunset

There was a watering hole near were we camped for the night, so we sat at the booth set up and watched for as long as we could as creatures came by to drink. It was an interesting evening, and if it wasn't for the cold, and dark sleepy night I could sit there for hours and hours. There is this juvenile part of the mind that had these "animal conversations", wondering if the animal asks between themselves why these silly humans were watching them drink...?

The awkward position of which the giraffe has to drink in makes it an easy prey whilst at it



Two rhinos at the watering hole



Elephants at the watering hole - there must have been twenty of them that night.


The lions came at 3am, but by then I was sound asleep in my tent and did not even hear the roar that everyone talked about the next day. And I was meant to be a soft sleeper!

1 comment:

  1. I was waiting with bated breath to see if the giraffe was caught by the lions. Was he?

    ReplyDelete