Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Chang Deok Gung


Whilst I was out and about doing touristy things I decided to visit a palace. The above mentioned was selected as it was UN Heritage listed.

It certainly has its charms and beauty. The under ground heating was impressive! But every time I have been to places like these I can't help but wonder if I should commend the Chinese for having spread their influence so far or the Vietnamese / Japanese / Korean for doing so well in the cases of the latter two, out pace the Chinese. Maybe if the Chinese had not pissed of so many people in the past there may have been a much more vibrant and cohesive North Asian history. I mean, traditional Korean script is Chinese after all. Most words now even sound similar to contemporary Mandarin.

The Grand Entrance into the Palace

As our guide put it - "big creation place" - indicating the pressure on the king and queen to produce a heir (much needed given the average age of kings then were only 46!).

But the palace is certainly worth visiting - to see the organization and intricate designs. But beware, you can only enter with a guided tour and there are only limited sessions a day.

If you have time (like I did as I was not aware of the aforementioned), look for a cafe called Margot two blocks behind. I have recently developed a taste for tea (must be the Chinese in me). Had tea at this beautiful little place. KRW 5 for a pot of tea and a plate of what I think must be dried apricots. Put a smile on my face on an otherwise freezing day!




No comments:

Post a Comment