Thursday, March 18, 2010

Miyajima Island

Actual name is Itsukushima but because the place is so spiritual it has been given the name Shrine Island. The island houses the Itsukushima shrine and a couple of others. I'm not sure if it is still the case but apparently no one is allowed to die or give birth on the island in the past. This was meant to signify the cease of rebirth and suffering in Buddhist teaching.

Most travel to the island to see the floating torii that leads into the Itsukushima shrine:

I am no different

The torii at night

The island in the evening

It is a peaceful little island - something I am thankful for after the last few weeks of hectic travel. It took me a while to get to but when I walked into my room in the ryokan and looked out the window, it was worth it.

The island at day break


Sunset




No comments:

Post a Comment