Wednesday, March 3, 2010

DMZ


If I really had to trace the source of my interest in current affairs, it would be from the Modern World History study I did back in school. I found so much relevance in what I studied and what was happening in the world at large, the world which mostly, I struggled to understand to this day.

Visiting the DMZ was like stepping back in my history class - except this is still current. This has got to be the last remnant of The Cold War - where people fought (or not) over ideals. Or at least that was what appeared to be on the surface. Being at the DMZ I question what Kim Jong Il was fighting for. Ego? I suppose some find it hard to relinquish power once in possession.

What blew me away, despite all the stories of the repeated North Korean intended attacks on the South (e.g. the fore underground tunnels just the bare minimum of evidence) is the South's hope for re-unification. So much "hope". They've even built a train station (currently empty) in hope of one day connecting to the North. I don't know how they hold so much hope and faith in a regime that holds intentions to attack them nor included them in peace talks.

But I guess one has to choose peace. And choosing peace isn't easy.

Here's to hoping that it does become history and that train station goes into operation - then one can connect all the way from West Europe through to Japan!

Not to mention it'd be one step forward for world peace too.

Immigration stamp for connecting train to Pyongyang




No comments:

Post a Comment