Saturday, March 13, 2010

Random Kyoto Restaurant Find

First night in Kyoto, went hunting for food. Did not help that it was dark, but after an hour of wandering around almost lost I stumbled into this restaurant. It was hidden behind a little alley, and looked really quiet, but upon entering I saw piles of shoes - which meant there were people all hidden in different rooms.

Same story, one girl sitting at the counter with one bottle of hot sake. After a couple of glasses, I managed to find out that it was a 60-year old family run business. It was initially started off by grandfather after World War 2. Then each generation learned the business - highly likely the young sons will too.

The food was impeccably prepared. I had sashimi, chawan mushi (very nice) and tempura. Got around to chatting with the chef and he even let me try this gobo thing which is apparently a Japanese favorite. It was actually quite yummy.

I wasn't allowed to take photos but here is the business card. Do visit - it is simply delightful just to be eating watching the chef and his whole family at work. They speak minimal English but I speak no Japanese and we still managed to have a conversation (they even managed to make fun of my knee brace). Very friendly.

Chef's name is Iimura Yoshiyuki



No comments:

Post a Comment