Monday, March 15, 2010

Nijo Castle in Kyoto

Formerly the Tokugawa shogun's residence - this was really quite impressive. I couldn't take photos inside - understandable as the walls are all painted by the Kano School of painters, mostly in gold laced copper (I think). It is immaculate inside - just imagine back then when the shoguns were in rule. I was most impressed by the art, I have to say. It is just a shame I can't show it to you.

Oh, and the floors in the castle squeaks - I am pretty sure it wasn't my knee brace either. It was a sort of technology they used to determined where an intruder would be. These Japanese, just way ahead of time!

Karamon - entrance to the castle


Gardens surrounding the castle


Roof detailing





1 comment:

  1. Its a cool castle! It's almost like a playhouse with the squeaky sounds it makes (i'm sure the shoguns didn't take it that way!) Glad u saw it!

    ReplyDelete